- What is a parasite? What is a host? Give one example of a host-parasite relationship.
- What does the body’s immune system do?
- Describe the relationship between the immune system and inflammation. What are some symptoms of inflammation?
- What is the main difference between immune disorders (such as allergies and asthma) and autoimmune disorders (such as Crohn’s disease and lupus)?
- Are parasites revving up or toning down inflammation in humans? Is this good or bad for the parasites? Is this good or bad for their human hosts?
- Describe the connection scientists have found between geography, parasites and immune/autoimmune disorders.
- Overall, what are the results of studies that treat immune disorders with parasites? What are the tradeoffs of using parasites to treat immune disorders?
- Parasites slow inflammation by revving up the production of what protein?
- Name two kinds of parasitic worms discussed in the story.
- Can you think of another kind of parasitic animal that has medicinal benefits? (Hint: They’re bloodsuckers.)
1. What are some simple things a person can do to avoid getting parasites?